DESIGN / HIGHLIGHTS
All-New Platinum Model: The Explorer Platinum model shines with sharp satin chrome accents throughout the body, from the unique Platinum grille to the rear liftgate. There are a standard dual-panel moonroof up top and stunning 20-inch bright-faced wheels with dark tarnish painted pockets below. The standard, powerful 3.5L EcoBoost® V6 enables towing up to 5,000 pounds.
All-New Platinum Exterior:
The new exterior is exceptionally stylish – in an extraordinarily rugged kind of way.
• Exciting new exterior colors
• Redesigned hood, headlamps, grille, fenders and fog lamps
• 3.5L EcoBoost® V6 with Intelligent 4WD and Terrain Management System
• Unique 20-inch aluminum wheels and grille
• Leather-wrapped interior featuring real wood and metal appliques
• Dual-panel moonroof
• Class III Trailer Tow Package
• Satin chrome exterior accents
All-New Platinum Interior:
From the feel of real wood on the steering wheel to the awe-inspiring look of the instrument cluster, this interior truly lives up to the name Platinum.
• Nirvana Leather with perforated and quilted seats on Platinum model
• Leather wrapped heated wood steering wheel
• Leather-wrapped interior featuring real wood and metal appliques
• Unique 500-watt Sony audio system, all available technologies standard
• Dual-panel moonroof
• Fully-Digital Instrument Cluster
• Authentic wood trim
New Exterior Styling: With its redesigned front, rear, roofline and wheels, the 2016 Explorer will steal any scene. Standard LED Low-Beam Headlamps with Available Signature Lighting: • More durable and longer-lasting than filament-based lighting • Up to 60% more energy-efficient. It says “confident” inside and out: New liftgate, new taillamps, new fascia and new exhaust tips, Redesigned hood, headlamps, grille, fender and fog lamps.
Intelligent Access with Push-Button Start:
Keep your keys in your pocket to gain access to the Explorer. It’s pretty much that simple, thanks to the Intelligent Access with push-button start feature. Simply have the Intelligent Access key in your pocket or purse near the driver’s door. (The system senses when the key is nearby.) Then touch the door handle to unlock the driver’s door or all the doors. Once inside, just press the brake pedal and then the start button. Shift into gear and go. Standard on the Explorer XLT, Limited, Sport and Platinum.
Heated Steering Wheel:
Driving with your hands on a cold steering wheel is a thing of the past with the heat feature, standard in the Explorer Limited and Platinum and available in Sport. The steering wheel can warm up from -4°F to 74°F within five minutes and maintain a temperature of up to 90°F. And no matter the time of year, you can enjoy the comfort of heated or cooled front seats.
New Interior Comfort Features:
• Seats with new cloths and leathers and with updated sew patterns
• 10-way power driver's seat with power lumbar standard on XLT
• Leather-wrapped steering wheel standard on XLT
• Intelligent Access with push-button start standard on XLT
• Heated steering wheel standard on Limited and Platinum
• Illuminated front scuff plates standard on Sport and Platinum
• Heated and cooled front row seats standard on Limited and Platinum
• Available multicontour front seats with Active Motion
• Available second row inflatable rear safely belts
Three Rows. Spacious Seating for Up to Seven:
The Explorer can carry up to seven passengers. The second row features a 60/40 split-fold-flat bench and available bucket seats and console, while the third row has a 50/50 split-folding seat with generous passenger space. Behind the third row, there are up to 21 cubic feet of cargo volume. For more cargo space, up to 81.7 cubic feet, fold the second and third rows for a flat load surface.
The Explorer can tow up to 5,000 lbs. when properly equipped. Power comes from its standard 3.5L Ti-VCT V6 or available 3.5L EcoBoost V6. The available Class III Trailer Tow Package, required for towing, includes an engine oil cooler, wiring harness and tow hitch. The Explorer offers features that make towing easy. The standard rear view camera provides a video image on the center console screen of the area behind you, with screen guides that help you align your vehicle when hooking up a trailer. Hill start assist helps keep the vehicle from rolling backward when you're on a slope or hill. The trailer sway control feature, integrated with standard AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control, detects trailer sway, automatically adjusts engine speed and applies asymmetric braking to help counter it.
Hill Descent Control:
Hill Descent Control is an important technology that’s part of the available Intelligent 4WD System. Push the Hill Descent Control button on the Terrain Management System dial, then press the brake and accelerator to set the desired speed. The set speed is maintained during the descent as brake pressure is automatically applied when needed.
The Explorer delivers when you need configurable cargo space. With the second and third-row seats in the upright position, you have maximum seating plus 21 cubic feet of cargo space. With just the third-row seats folded, there are 43.8 cubic feet of total storage capacity. And with both the second- and third-row seats folded flat, Explorer provides up to 81.7 cubic feet of cargo space. What’s more, there is a storage area in the floor for smaller items. For cargo space on demand, the available PowerFold® third-row seat is a class-exclusive feature. The 50/50 split-folding seat folds flat at the touch of a button.
Terrain Management System:
The Terrain Management System™ is included with the available Intelligent 4WD System and lets you shift on the fly into one of four settings to match the terrain:
• Normal – biases torque to the front wheels and sends it to the rear wheels only as needed
• Mud/Ruts – switches the throttle to a more aggressive mode, limits upshifting and desensitizes stability control, allowing the wheels to spin as needed
• Sand – delivers maximum torque to the wheels, keeping the transmission in the lower gears for as long as possible, which allows the wheels to spin aggressively
• Grass/Gravel/Snow – sets the transmission for faster upshifts and adjusts the engine torque slightly to improve traction and control on a hard surface covered with loose material like grass, gravel or snow
• 4WD System includes Hill Control™ which lets you set and maintain a constant speed while traveling downhill
Six-Speed SelectShift Automatic Transmission:
The Explorer comes standard with a Six-speed SelectShift automatic transmission with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters, so you can easily and quickly change gears.
Curve Control will slow you down as much as 10 mph in approximately one second when it senses that you’re going too fast for a particular curve. Employing throttle reduction and four-wheel braking, it’s always active in helping you maintain control around curves. Also, it can function on dry or wet pavement and is particularly useful when entering or exiting freeway off- or on-ramps with too much speed. Curve Control, standard on all Explorer models, is an enhancement to AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control.
Trailer Sway Control:
Building on AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control, the standard trailer sway control (TSC) selectively brakes and adjusts engine power to maintain trailer control.39 The result is stability and control, even when towing large loads.
AdvanceTrac with RSC:
Standard AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control (RSC) uses two gyroscopic sensors to monitor both yaw rate and roll rate. This allows AdvanceTrac with RSC to help you maintain control whenever it detects wheelslip, understeer, oversteer or roll motion. It also helps maintain control on adverse road conditions such as ice, gravel or rain. AdvanceTrac with RSC also features Curve Control, which will slow the vehicle down when it senses that it's going too fast for a particular curve.
Available Intelligent 4WD continuously monitors wheel speed, throttle position and steering angle to determine the vehicle’s conditions and the driver’s intent. The system then determines the optimal amount of front and rear torque for the given conditions to not only reduce wheelslip but to prevent the slip from occurring in the first place, which helps keep the vehicle sure-footed on virtually any terrain.
Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning with Brake Support:
Available adaptive cruise control* is a step beyond conventional cruise control. When its sensors detect traffic slowing, your vehicle also slows down. After traffic has cleared, your vehicle resumes the preset speed. Available forward collision warning with brake support will alert you if it senses a potential collision with the car in front of you. A heads-up display, which simulates brake lights, flashes on the windshield. If you don’t react in time, the brakes will precharge and increase brake-assist sensitivity to provide full responsiveness.
BLIS® with Cross-Traffic Alert:
Available BLIS®* (Blind Spot Information System) uses radar in the rear quarter panels to identify a vehicle entering your blind spot and alerts you with an indicator light in the sideview mirror. Cross-traffic alert also uses radar to watch for traffic behind you when you’re slowly backing out of a parking spot or your driveway. If it detects a vehicle approaching from up to 15 yards away, it sends an audible warning, an indicator light flashes in the sideview mirror and a displays in the message center. BLIS with cross-traffic alert is available on the XLT, Limited and Sport, and standard on Platinum models.
It happens at times to the best of drivers – unintentionally drifting out of the driving lane. That’s when you’ll really appreciate this customizable, driver-activated system designed to help you stay in control.
• The camera detects lane markings and communicates with the steering system
• Lane-keeping alert: Drift too close to a lane marker and a vibration is sent to the steering wheel, much like the feeling of riding over rumble strips
• Lane-keeping aid: Provides a directional steering torque, helping you guide your vehicle back to the center of the lane
• Use either the lane-keeping alert or aid — or combine them, receiving a steering torque first, followed by a vibration alert if you continue drifting
• Included Driver Alert System can detect erratic vehicle movements over a period of time, indicating possible drowsiness, coffee cup displays, signaling it may be time to rest
• Available on the Explorer Limited and standard on Platinum.
Show and tell. Thanks to this attractive, high-tech, easy-to-read display, everything you want to know is staring you right in the face.
Front 180-Degree Camera and Front Park Aid:
• Aids visibility for limited-sight maneuvers such as pulling out of the driveway, street or parking lot
• Allows the driver to see around corners
• Includes washer to help keep lens free of dirt and debris
Dual 2nd-Row Smart-Charging USB Ports: Charge up to twice as fast as standard USB ports. Up to 2.5 amps - two in front, two in the rear.
Enhanced Active Park Assist:
Available enhanced active park assist adds the ability for Explorer to help you with perpendicular parking too. Utilizing the vehicle’s 12 ultrasonic sensors, Explorer will scan for suitable parking spaces, and will assist in backing the vehicle into the spot. All you have to do is shift, accelerate and brake, and Explorer will take care of the steering. While driving slowly near parking spots, simply activate this feature and it scans for available parking spots. Ultrasonic sensors measure the distance to the curb and other parked cars. Once a suitable spot is identified, you’re signaled to stop and accept the system's assistance. Just control the shifting, accelerating and braking.
SYNC® and SYNC® with MyFord Touch:
Available voice-activated SYNC® helps keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel. An information cluster screen is also there to assist you.
• With hands-free calling, you'll never miss a phone call when you're behind the wheel
• Simply say what or whom you want to hear and get it with voice-activated music search
• Bluetooth® audio lets you wirelessly control your entertainment with voice commands
• Have incoming text messages read aloud to you
• 911 Assist® can call for help in an emergency, even if you can't
• Information screens display your information in the cluster panel and center stack
Upgrade to SYNC with MyFord Touch® for the ultimate in capabilities:
• A customizable, 8-inch touch screen in the center stack, dual 4.2-inch cluster screens, audio/video input jacks, two USB ports and WiFi® capability
• Voice-recognition technology responds to commands as simple as ''find restaurant'' and can also be used to adjust your climate
• Find the SiriusXM radio stations you want with voice commands