DESIGN / HIGHLIGHTS
Torture-Testing the Next-Generation F-150:
Our goal in building the next generation of the Ford F-150 was to set the industry bar for durability for years to come. It’s a goal that required a commitment to over 10 million miles of cumulative torture-testing – in labs, at proving grounds, over high-altitude passes and through desert valleys, while hauling huge loads and towing heavy trailers at temperature extremes from -20 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Today’s F-150 is lighter by up to 700 pounds. The results: Best-in-class hauling capability. Best-in-class towing. Better-than-ever power-to-weight ratio for faster acceleration and greater pulling power. More responsive handling. Quicker braking. And all achieved with even greater efficiency.
High-strength, aluminum-alloy body and steel frame:
Class-exclusive military-grade, aluminum alloy body — this is the same 5,000/6,000-series high-strength grade of aluminum that’s used in industries such as aerospace, commercial transportation and energy. Our objective: reduce weight while increasing strength. What’s more, aluminum-alloy is resistant to dents and corrosion. High-strength steel frame with eight crossmembers — the fully boxed frame has eight crossmembers (five through-welded) and is made of up to 78 percent high-strength steel (up from 23 percent in the 2014 F-150 frame). And while stronger and more rigid, this frame is lighter by up to 60 lbs. because many of the components are fabricated by using state-of-the-art rolled forming and tailor-rolled blanks to help reduce weight.
With the flexible, configurable BoxLink system, we’ve taken the conventional pickup box and reshaped it to be more usable, so you can work more easily and be more productive.
• The structurally reinforced box sides allow you to attach and tie down various kinds of cargo
• The four interface plates can be configured to accommodate many available Ford and aftermarket accessories (including E-Track) – aftermarket storage bins, dividers, stowable loading ramps and many others
• The four lockable, removable cleats can handle the same loads as the hard-attached interface cleats in the pickup box (275 lbs. across, 600 lbs. diagonally), providing additional locations to tie down the cargo you’re carrying safely and securely
Redefining how your truck works for you:
By using high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloy for the body and high-strength steel in the frame, we’ve made today’s Ford F-150 stronger and more efficient than previous generations. We’ve also designed the work space of both the cab interior and the pickup box to help you work smarter. And the F-150 offers optional features such as the 360-Degree Camera and the new Pro Trailer Backup Assist. Jobs keep getting tougher. Budgets keep getting tighter. That’s why this next-generation of our Ford F-150 is engineered to be the hardest working, most productive we’ve ever built.
Game-changing power-to-weight performance.
This next-generation F-150 is lighter by up to 700 pounds, thus improving the power-to-weight ratio and performance capability across the entire engine lineup. That means greater acceleration and pulling power than before – and higher efficiency to go with it. The F-150 offers four engines, the 2.7L EcoBoost® among them, so you can choose the combination of performance and fuel efficiency that matches the requirements of your work.
Enhanced Ride, Handling and Braking:
The suspension and braking systems are engineered and tuned to enable today’s lighter-weight F-150 to be even more agile and maneuverable than the previous generation.
• Independent double-wishbone front suspension features a wider track to help improve stability and control
• Lower center of gravity also improves stability and control
• Wide-track Hotchkiss-design rear suspension has retuned 2-stage leaf springs that have been shortened and widened to enhance ride quality
• Rear shocks are mounted outboard of the frame rails to reduce body lean and help improve cornering. They’re also staggered (one to the front on the passenger side, the other to the rear on the driver’s side) to help minimize the effects of solid rear axle hop.
A Well-Designed Work Space:
You spend many hours every day in your truck. That’s why we built a pickup cab that helps you work smarter and more productively.
• 170-degree swing-out rear doors on SuperCab for easier entry and exit, loading and unloading
• Almost twice the storage space in the front row in vehicles equipped with the available center console as the previous model
• Class-exclusive* fully flat load floor in both the SuperCab and SuperCrew
• Power Sliding Rear Window – a seamless piece of glass with a power sliding center section that seals tightly when closed and allows for the use of the defroster even when open
• Enhanced visibility – the beltline of the doors lowered by up to two inches and the front pillars moved forward
The F-150 provides LED lighting everywhere you need it.
• Quad-Beam LED Headlamps and LED Taillamps – provide brighter, more efficient and longer-lasting illumination than conventional lamps
• Class-exclusive LED Side-Mirror Spotlights – illuminate any task at hand from just about any angle after the sun has set
• LED Box Lighting – helps you work at night and lets you see under a tonneau cover
• Tailgate LED – helpful when you’re hitching up a trailer at night
F-150 works harder. And you work smarter:
Think F-150 capability has been outstanding in the past? Today’s F-150 is even more capable. It’s stronger, yet lighter by up to 700 pounds than the previous generation, delivering best-in-class maximum towing and payload. But that’s not all. Towing is easier for this F-150 – and for you too, with technologies like the new Pro Trailer Backup Assist feature. And F-150’s cleverly designed pickup box helps you work smarter and more productively.
Best-in-Class Towing* and Smart Towing Features:
The F-150 can tow more than any other pickup in its class* – up to 12,200 lbs. with the available 3.5L EcoBoost.® The 2.7L EcoBoost, the most fuel-efficient F-150 engine, is a V6 delivering an impressive maximum tow rating of 8,500 lbs.** And F-150 offers smart features that help make towing easier.
• Whether you’re a towing novice or a seasoned pro, New Pro Trailer Backup Assist™ makes backing up a trailer as easy as turning a knob
• Dynamic Hitch Assist† provides a line-of-sight guide to help direct your hitch ball to the trailer receiver
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector† informs you of trailer connectivity issues, burned-out or unlit trailer marker lamps, brake light and trailer battery problems
• 8-inch Productivity Screen† provides a screen dedicated to towing information
• Standard Trailer Sway Control uses technology in AdvanceTrac® with RSC® (Roll Stability Control™) to help your trailer remain on a stable course
• Trailer Brake Controller (TBC)† is factory-installed and integrated into the F-150 instrument panel. TBC helps synchronize the truck and trailer brakes
Best-in-Class Payload* and Class-Defining Pickup Box:
Reducing weight is an effective way to increase payload. And that’s what we’ve achieved with our next-generation Ford F-150 – by up to 700 pounds. Greater strength with less weight achieves a 3,270-lb. maximum payload rating that is best in class.* Even the F-150 powered by the 2.7L EcoBoost® V6 can haul up to 2,210 lbs. when properly equipped. The F-150 also features a work-minded pickup bed that can carry all that payload, with available features such as:
• Flexible, configurable class-exclusive BoxLink™ system
• LED Box Lights
• Stowable Loading Ramps
• Class-exclusive Integrated Tailgate Step with Lift Assist
• Class-exclusive Remote Tailgate Release
• Deployable Box Side Steps, available on all cab configurations including the SuperCrew® with 5.5-ft. box.
A Work-Ready Cargo Bed:
You haul lots of stuff every day. That’s why we’ve designed the F-150 to maximize work space convenience. Here’s how:
• Class-exclusive BoxLink™* – configurable universal pickup box interface system secures a wide variety of available Ford and aftermarket accessories such as stowable loading ramps, aftermarket storage bins, dividers and many others including E-Track™
• LED Box Lights* – work at night or under a tonneau cover
• Stowable Loading Ramps* – easily load items such as ATVs, motorcycles and mowers, can be spaced along the tailgate to suit the item being loaded
• Class-exclusive** Integrated Tailgate Step with Lift Assist* – fully integrated inside the tailgate
• Class-exclusive** Remote Tailgate Release* – release and lower the tailgate with the key fob, lock or unlock the tailgate with the key fob or inside door switch
• Deployable Box Side Steps* – available on all cab configurations including the four-door SuperCrew® with 5.5-ft. pickup box
2.7L EcoBoost® V6 with Auto Start-Stop Technology:
The 2.7L EcoBoost® has the highest EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings* of any gas-powered light-duty pickup. It delivers robust performance as well. Amazingly, an engine so compact and efficient can deliver up to 8,500 lbs. of maximum towing and 2,250 lbs. of maximum payload.
• Highest EPA-estimated gas fuel economy along with high power ratings*
• Twin turbochargers for an instant surge of on-demand power
• Upper block and cylinders made of the same compacted graphite iron used in the 6.7L Power Stroke® V8 Turbo Diesel that powers Super Duty trucks for strength and quiet operation
• Twin-independent variable cam timing (Ti-VCT) open/close the valves in precise duration to match the load condition of the moment, optimizing performance and efficiency across the entire power band
• Lower block and cylinder heads made of aluminum to reduce weight
• Specially designed components such as variable-displacement oil pump and piston connecting rods that use an offset I-beam that provides strength to manage peak engine power levels while reducing weight for better responsiveness
• Auto Start-Stop Technology: Engine shuts off to save fuel when you come to a stop and restarts immediately when the brake is released, deactivates when it wouldn’t be needed such as in tow/haul mode in four-wheel drive
3.5L Ti-VCT V6 Engine:
The 3.5L Ti-VCT FFV V6 is engineered to handle demanding everyday jobs while keeping operating costs as low as possible. With advanced twin independent variable cam timing (Ti-VCT) technology, the cams open/close the valves in precise duration to suit the operating conditions. Power output is optimized at every point across the performance band.
• Unsurpassed standard V6 EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings for a light-duty pickup
• 5 percent better power-to-weight ratio than the previous 3.7L V6
• Tow rating of up to 7,600 lbs. – a 900-lb. improvement
3.5L EcoBoost® Ti-VCT V6 Engine:
The available 3.5L EcoBoost® delivers proven performance and durability in over a half-million F-150 pickups on the road. Direct-injection technology draws optimum power from every drop of fuel, while twin turbochargers answer instantly with an on-demand surge when you need it. Advanced twin independent variable cam timing (Ti-VCT) technology optimizes power output at every point across the performance band.
• 6 percent higher city and 11 percent higher combined EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings than the previous generation’s 3.5L EcoBoost
• 12 percent better power-to-weight ratio compared to 2014
• Best-in-class 12,200-lb. maximum tow rating
5.0L Ti-VCT V8 Engine:
This is the muscular engine you need to take on the everyday tasks of heavy on-the-job hauling. The 5.0L is engineered with twin independent variable cam timing (Ti-VCT) technology. With conventional valve cam timing, the intake and exhaust valves have to open and close at a fixed point, compromising performance. But Ti-VCT virtually eliminates this compromise. Variable control of valve cam timing optimizes performance across the entire low, mid and high ranges of the power band to match the driving conditions, all the while burning fuel efficiently.
• Increase of 22 more horsepower and 7 more lb.-ft. of torque over the 2014 Model Year
• 16 percent better power-to-weight ratio than 2014 Model Year 5.0L V8
• Best-in-class maximum 3,270 lbs. payload
• CNG/Propane Gaseous Engine Prep Package available for conversion to compressed natural gas (CNG) or propane autogas
• Snow Plow Prep Package available
Best-in-Class Gas Fuel Efficiency:
Less weight by up to 700 pounds results in a higher power-to-weight ratio plus increased fuel economy. And engine technology helps balance the demands for power and efficiency.
• Best-in-class gas fuel economy* with 2.7L EcoBoost® V6
• Auto Start-Stop Technology feature on the 2.7L EcoBoost® V6 shuts the engine off to save fuel when stopped and restarts immediately when the brake is released
• EcoBoost engines use the precise fuel delivery of direct injection at each cylinder
• Twin independent variable cam timing (Ti-VCT) provides precise variable, yet independent, control over intake/exhaust valve timing
• The standard electronically controlled 6-speed automatic transmission has close-ratio gearing optimized for low-end performance and high-end efficiency
• Electric power-assisted steering (EPAS) helps improve fuel efficiency in two ways: Electric motor operates only when steering assist is needed. And eliminated is the conventional hydraulic belt-driven gear that draws engine power (and efficiency)
• Improved aerodynamic efficiency is achieved with features such as standard Active Grille Shutters (upper on all engines, upper and lower on EcoBoost engines)
Shifting into four-wheel drive is as easy as turning a dial with the standard electronic shift-on-the-fly (ESOF) system. ESOF lets you choose two four-wheel-drive modes (4x4 low or high) as well as two-wheel-drive. LARIAT, King Ranch® and Platinum models also include automatic 4WD mode.
The FX4 Off-Road Package is optional on F-150 4x4s and contains everything for the off-road enthusiast:
• Electronic-locking rear differential, when engaged, locks the rear axle completely to provide enhanced traction at both rear wheels
• Hill Descent Control, when activated, applies brake pressure as needed, enabling you to descend grades at a controlled speed of up to 20 miles per hour
• Off-road tuned shock absorbers, plus skid plates help protect the fuel tank, transfer case and front differential
• A 4x4 “FX4 Off-Road” decal on the pickup box is also included
What’s more, the F-150 offers the available class-exclusive 360-Degree Camera with Split-View Display that’s helpful when you’re maneuvering in tight spaces or on off-road trails.
Electronic-Locking Rear Differential:
The electronic-locking rear differential, when engaged, locks the rear axle completely to enhance traction at both rear wheels at the same time. The electronic-locking rear differential, fully integrated with standard AdvanceTrac with RSC, delivers excellent traction when traveling on- or off-road.
CNG/Propane Gaseous Engine Prep Package (5.0L V8):
Compressed natural gas (CNG) and propane autogas are becoming popular choices for those looking to help cut fuel costs and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. That’s why the 5.0L Ti-VCT V8 offers the CNG/Propane Gaseous Engine Prep Package. Included are hardened engine intake valves and valve seats for gaseous fuel systems. This option enables you to choose between alternative fuel or gas at the flip of a switch.
Electronic 6-Speed Transmission with Tow/Haul Mode:
The standard electronic 6-speed close-ratio transmission has a wide gear ratio for responsive low-end performance and enhanced fuel efficiency at the higher gears. It reduces gear hunting, improves power delivery and tow/haul mode uses engine braking to help control vehicle speed when descending hills. Especially useful when hauling or towing a heavy load. The available SelectShift® automatic feature has two modes of operation: Progressive Range Select allows the driver to reduce the range of available transmission gears while operating in Drive mode to limit the number of gears available for road and load conditions, Full Manual mode for the control of going manually up and down the gearbox without using a clutch.
Safest F-150 Ever:
• 5-Star overall crash test rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, thanks to 31 safety-related innovations
• Safety starts with the frame’s high-strength steel. A fully boxed frame features eight crossmembers (five through-welded) made of up to 78 percent high-strength steel (up from 23 percent in the previous generation)
• Features an advanced restraint system with dual-stage airbags, Curve Control to help you maintain control when navigating a curve too quickly and available inflatable rear safety belts in SuperCrew® models – a segment-first innovation
• Safety belt pretensioners added to the belt anchor side further tighten the lap belt around front-seat passengers, keeping them in a more secure spot early in the event of a crash
• Standard AdvanceTrac® with RSC (Roll Stability Control™)
• Standard trailer sway control
• Available inflatable rear outboard safety belts available in four-door SuperCrew (compatible with child-safety seats) – a segment-first feature
5-Star Crash Test Rating:
With its high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy body and unique 12-sided design in the high-strength steel front frame horn, the Ford F-150 is engineered to be safer than ever before. That’s backed by crash testing conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) covering frontal, side and rollover crash worthiness. The F-150 has achieved NHTSA’s overall rating of 5 Stars,* the highest score possible.
360-Degree Camera with Split-View Display:
The available class-exclusive 360-Degree Camera with Split-View Display uses four cameras – one in the grille, tailgate, and under each of the sideview mirrors. The system enables you to see all sides of the truck by stitching the images together and displaying them on a center stack screen. It’s useful when maneuvering in tight spaces or on trails. Enhancing the 360-Degree Camera is the available Dynamic Hitch Assist feature that provides a line-of-sight guide to help direct your hitch ball to the trailer receiver.
New Pro Trailer Backup Assist:
Whether you’re a towing novice or a seasoned pro, Pro Trailer Backup Assist makes backing up a trailer as easy as turning a knob.
• Rotate the knob left or right in the direction you want the trailer to go
• Makes navigating the trailer more intuitive
• Advanced rear view camera technology alerts you to obstacles in your path
• F-150 is the first pickup truck to offer this breakthrough feature
Technology helps you respond in a wide variety of situations.
• New available Pro Trailer Backup Assist™† uses advanced technology to make the task of backing up a trailer as easy as turning a knob
• Class-exclusive 360-Degree Camera with Split-View Display – helpful when maneuvering in tight spaces and on trails
• Lane-Keeping System offers different selectable modes, including:
- Alert warns the driver if the vehicle starts to drift into another lane and the turn signal has not been activated using a series of vibration pulses that are felt through the steering wheel and a visual indication (red line) in the message center of three steering wheel vibration intensity settings: low, medium (default) and high
- Aid applies steering torque, which can help direct the driver to steer the vehicle back into the lane it was traveling in, and provides a visual indication (yellow line)
- Alert+Aid provides the Aid steering torque first and then the Alert vibration if the vehicle continues to drift†
• BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic Alert – exterior mirror indicator illuminates when a vehicle in an adjacent lane is detected in the blind zone from behind, also detects a vehicle passing behind when you’re slowly backing out of a parking spot or driveway
• Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning with Brake Support – slows your vehicle down as traffic ahead slows, precharges the brakes and increases brake-assist sensitivity to provide full responsiveness if you don’t react in time†
• Curve Control – uses technology in the standard AdvanceTrac® with RSC® to reduce speed when you’re going too fast on a curve
• Class-exclusive* Active Park Assist – selects a parking space and assists you in parallel parking while you handle only the shifting, accelerating and braking
8-Inch LCD Productivity Screen:
The available 8-inch LCD Productivity Screen provides useful information from fuel economy to towing data right in front of you on the instrument cluster. You can create a customized home screen using six menu options: My View, Trip/Fuel, Truck Info, Towing, Off-Road and Settings--and access your most frequently used screens in one place. The 8-inch LCD Productivity Screen is standard in F-150 LARIAT, King Ranch,® Platinum and Limited.
SYNC® or SYNC 3:
Available voice-activated SYNC technology helps you keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.
• Make a call with a simple push of a button along with the sound of your voice, and the phone conversation can be heard through your vehicle speakers
Automatic Phone Book Download
• Download the names and numbers programmed in your compatible phone automatically
Music search and control
• Say what music you want to hear and listen to it easily with voice-activated search or say “Bluetooth® audio” to stream your favorite content on your phone wirelessly48
• Use your voice to control some of your favorite compatible mobile apps while driving
No-extra-charge 911 Assist
• Connect your compatible cell phone to this convenient no-charge feature to help call 911, even if you can’t Upgrade to SYNC 3. Our next generation of voice-activated technology.
New easy-to-use design. New interface. New features. SYNC 3 is not only new, it’s responsive and innovative. Just say the word and discover how SYNC 3 delivers next-level connectivity.
New hardware meets new software
• Find an easy-to-read color touch screen that conveniently displays phone, audio and available navigation functions all on the home screen
• Experience quick reactions to your commands. From a light tap on the touch screen to simple voice commands, SYNC 3 delivers at an impressive speed
Capacitive touch screen
• The capacitive touch screen has impressive responsiveness such as the convenient swipe feature, similar to what is found on your smartphone
Enhanced voice recognition
• Talk with simple, real-world voice commands and the system responds naturally to your voice
Easy destination entry
• Locate your favorite restaurants, nearest ATM and more, with simple destination entry via the optional navigation
Siri® seamless integration
• Bring the power of Siri Eyes Free and your iPhone® into your vehicle
Automatic updates over Wi-Fi®
• Keep SYNC 3 up-to-date with the latest software as updates become available – all you need is a Wi-Fi connection
Experience voice-activated technology. SYNC. Say the word.
In-Cab Storage and Fully Flat Load Floor:
The F-150 provides lots of places to store the assortment of things you carry inside the cab.
• Almost twice the storage space in the front row (in vehicles equipped with the available center console) as the previous-generation F-150
• Door-trim panel bins
• Under-seat rear storage (in models with 40/20/40 front seating)
• Center front console storage, plus space for a laptop inside the available flow-through center console
• Class-exclusive fully flat rear load floor with under-seat storage (SuperCab and SuperCrew)